Sunday, October 11, 2009

Race for the Cure!

My Amazing Mom!!


As some of you know, and some of you might not, at the end of January, 2009, my mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. As far as cancer goes, it was the most treatable and she caught it early, but it was still a pretty big shock for us. She ended up having surgery in March and did radiation treatment after that. She qualified for a new type of radiation treatment, because her cancer hadn't spread, and she had five days in a row of radiation instead of having to do it spread out over weeks. She was such a trooper through the whole thing. She is a strong and inspiring person and I'm so glad to have her as a mother.

After running the March of Dimes race in January, I was planning on running the Susan G. Komen race in May when I found out about my mom. I decided everyone one else should also take part, and I called my sisters and my sister-in-law and they also decided to take part. As the race got closer, my mom was feeling well enough to take part also. It turned out to be an amazing event! My mom did a great job, especially with all she had gone through in the months before. Here are some pictures of the event - it was a lot of fun!


This is us right after we arrived at the event. We parked at Cashman field and had to walk a while to get to where the race started. I guess it was a great warm-up :)
Ulma, Jen, My Mom, Me, Tosha

This was taken right before we split up. Some of us did the 5K run (or walk) and my mom did the 1 Mile walk (still incredible after her treatments!)
Tosha, Nicole (friend), Pam (friend), Me, My Mom, Ulma, Jen

Here I am before the race with my Awesome Sisters!!

Here's another shot of us right before the race. My mom wore the pink shirt as a "survivor." There were a lot of pink shirts!


We decided before the race to meet on a certain corner. Thank goodness we did, because there were people everywhere and it would have been crazy to try to find everyone. This is the family shot after the race. Vegas is already starting to warm up and it was hot! As you can see in the background, there were a TON of people there. I think there were over 18,000 people registered to run or walk!


Here I am after the race with some of the friends that ran with me:
From left to right: Pam, Me, Nicole, and Patricia

Here I am with Pam. I sure had fun running with you!

Overall, it was a great experience. It was really nice to be able to have a place to go and show our mom our support for what she is going through. I also feel really blessed that she was able to take part with us. Great job everyone!

2 comments:

Raegan said...

You guys are awesome!

Vicki said...

I hadn't heard about your mom yet. I hope she is still doing well. That's great that you all went to run for a great cause. Cancer is so scary, especially when someone close to you has it!

Some Favorite images Ryan shot...